Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Believe!




Okay, so it is official. I have been married to my liberal husband for too long. And when I say "liberal," we're talking Utah liberal, which by the rest of the country's standards is pretty conservative. I actually listened to the inauguration. I have no interest in politics, but I listened all day long. I really need to have an interest, because it affects me, and my children. My husband has had a man crush on President Obama for some time. Not really a crush, but he's been an Obama supporter all along. I have had my reservations. Clearly he's intelligent. He's articulate, which is so refreshing after what we've been listening to for the past eight years. He's full of lofty promises of great reform, as all politicians are. But there's that part of me that's afraid. Of what I don't know.

As I listened to our new president speak today, I felt hope. Perhaps I have CW to thank for that. After nearly seven years of getting my current events and political news from his perspective, maybe my way of thinking has morphed into his way of thinking. After all, I really don't have my own way of thinking when it comes to politics, so I'm pretty easily persuaded. And CW is smart when it comes to things like politics and economics and stuff that makes my head hurt. Anyway, back to the historic events of the day. Obama left me feeling optimistic. I believe that he is the man for the job right now. The people of this country need someone they have confidence in, especially in our current state of economic uncertainty. We need someone who inspires hope, and he did that for me...an Obama doubter. We definitely need change, and isn't that what Obama's all about? Seriously, why wasn't I working for his campaign?!

It's a scary time. Job security, health care, war, moral decay, a failing educational system, the economy....the list goes on and on. Sometimes I like to remain ignorant on the current state of our country, because the reality of it all terrifies me. And it feels like it's totally out of my control. I hope that President Obama can make GOOD on his word. He has a tough job ahead of him. I don't envy his position. He's walking into a mess...and the expectations are great. I hope he succeeds. I want him to succeed. I hope that the faith and determination he's instilled in Americans thus far continues beyond the first few days and months of his presidency. I have lots and lots of hope. Time will tell.

With all this recent talk of majority and minority I have realized that for the first time I feel like a minority in this country. I am a minority because I define marriage as being between a man and a woman. I am a minority because I believe that an unborn child has a right to live. My values are not consistent with what the majority considers to be acceptable, and now I find that I am a minority in our society. And so while I have hope that Obama can do some GOOD for our nation, I also recognize that he is not the solution to our moral dilemmas. That is up to those of us in the minority to make our voices heard.

Wow, you will never again get a political post from me, because, really, politics is not my cup of tea, but this is history in the making, and I want to be a part of it, even if I am an ignoramus.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh, I am so proud that my wife SaM has joined the political blogging world, but I feel a pressing need to clarify one very important point. I do not, and let me repeat, I Do Not have a man crush on Obama. Smart...Yes, Earned my vote.....Yes, but let's not cross that not so fine line into man crushdom, completely inappropriate..... Thank you luv.

Emily said...

If Obama isn't your man crush who is, CW? Come on everyone has one. I'll tell you Chris's. Right now its Daniel Craig. I'm with you SaM. I want to hope so badly that is the right man for the job. It is a pretty scary thing and I don't like to think about it much either or I start pulling my hair out with stress.

Julie Barney said...

your comment, CW, makes me laugh hard. How silly do I sound laughing out loud by myself?
You two are great!
Come down soon before too much sun arives.

Sarah said...

Maybe his man crush is on a different "Sam." When those two are together I sometimes wonder...

sammyp said...

I too am proud of you SaM and love this post. Only because CW and I are in the same pool of the so called Liberal-Concervative group in Utah.

CW, there's nothing wrong with a man crush you're a handsome man yourself, don't be shy.

And to this Sarah lady who posted, just because we both like BYU Football, look forward to season tickets together, talk real estate, politics, and swap anxiety tactics doesn't mean C Dubble-yah has a crush on me.

sammyp said...

p.s. I can't spell

Brad and Alison said...

dear person on the very edge of man crushdom it's all good no need to be bashful. I bet your going to get a lot of flack at home on sundays. It make me kinda laugh. Well I certainly hope Obama can do all the things he promised. I wish him the best of luck and hopefully he will prove me wrong on a lot of my personal political views cus he probably won't follow them.

brad

cristi said...

Cw--Do not worry, I get man crushes too. My biggest one is Jon Bon Jovi.

© Of Good Report. Powered by